TITLE

Good Place – Good Food – Good Time

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Japanese Meals/Ramens

There is no such thing as 'bad' food in Japan. In fact, you can never stop eating because everything taste so good. That would explain why I gained 2kg in 5 days in Japan. Thankfully, Ive shed that already. (phew) 

This post is dedicated to ramens & rice I've had, excluding snacks and Kobe Beef, in the 6 nights I stayed in Tokyo, Japan. 

#1 ICHIZEN-YA
What I ordered: thinly sliced grilled pork belly over rice (small)
Cost: 630 YEN
Location: foodcourt in a mall located beside DisneySea/Disneyland Tokyo

There's a variety of food to choose from the food court. We decided to try ICHIZEN-YA because it has the longest line. True enough, our choice was not disappointing. (YAY)!

You can choose the size (small, medium or larger) accompanied with the type of grilled pork belly (thin or thick).  I chose the thin pork belly over rice. 

Taste - thin pork belly was grilled perfectly top with the special sauce. yummmmm~



#2 YOSHINOYA & SUKIYAKI STYLE
What I ordered: Regular beef bowl with green onion and egg
Cost: 480 YEN
Location: almost anywhere since Yoshinoya is a fast food chain.

Yes, we HAD to try the original Yoshinoya in Japan. Unlike Yoshinoya in other parts of Asia, each outlet in Japan is TINY. One store can fit about 6 people. That is why it's called FAST FOOD. 

Taste - average, the beef is too salty. I prefer the one in Indonesia. 

I like it how they have this separator to separate the egg yolk from the white. Efficient!
What I ordered: Regular beef SUKIYAKI Style
Cost: 500 YEN
Location: almost anywhere since Yoshinoya is a fast food chain.

Taste - I believe Yoshinoya- Sukiyaki style is only available in Japan. Very simple concept and it tastes above average. In fact, I like the sukiyaki beef better than the beef bowl. Perfect for a cold night!

#3  MUSASHI BUKOTSU, Ueno
What I ordered: Kuro style ramen with extra roasted pork. 
Cost: 1,030 YEN
Location: Ueno Fresh Market

Taste: 3rd time eating and I would gladly say it is my favorite ramen. They are known for tsukemen but tsukemen's broth is just thick and rich for me. This ramen is out of this world - it has chewy thick yellow noodles and the roasted pork is the BEST. Note that the pork is extremely fatty that melts in your mouth. Those who have high cholesterol should limit themselves. 

Even though it was my 3rd time, I never knew how to get there. It can get confusing getting from the train station to the Ramen place. You might want to ask locals for help. It is located within the market/shopping area. 


#4 TANAKA SHOTEN
What I ordered: Hakata style Tonkatsu Ramen
Cost: 810 YEN
Location: the one we had is at a foodcourt in Odaiba Mall.

Taste: Broth is thick and so you can see a layer of the fats if you leave it untouched. The pork itself is soft but does not exactly melt in your mouth. It has thin noodles. Love the half boiled egg as the yolk oozes out when you bite into it. Overall a good ramen but I feel that you can get 'sick' of the taste because the flavor is so rich. 





#5 Instant Noodle
What I bought: Miso Instant Ramen
Cost: 210 YEN per packet
Location: I was only able to find this in 2 supermarkets, of which both are NOT in the big cities. 1 supermarket in Furano and another near DisneySea. 

Taste: We were curious how an instant ramen would taste and so we bought few different brands of instant ramen. Out of which, the best is this brand with Miso Flavor (i think this is hakata style ramen). This instant ramen even came with one preserved pork! The taste of this ramen is better than some Ramen stores in Indonesia.

This (below) is the other flavor that we tried. It has thicker noodle, corn, pork and tastes more flavorful. But I still prefer the miso flavor. 


#6 ROKURINSHA RAMEN
What I ordered: Tsukemen with extra egg on the side
Cost: 1,080 YEN 
Location: We tried the branch in Skytree. The famous branch would be in Tokyo Ramen Street. 

Even though this is a restaurant, you have to order it through a vending machine that is in Japanese. Unless you read Japanese, you can only rely on the pictures for orders. 

Taste: This tsukemen is known for their broth mixed with shrimp paste. Not my favorite tsukemen because the shrimp paste is so strong that it felt tingling inside my mouth. Or maybe I am slightly allergic to it. Aside from that, good chewy yellow noodle with shredded pork.  :) 
 


With Lots of Love,
Claraaaa <3

No comments:

Post a Comment